ABOUT THE ARTIST
Lionel Lofton was born and reared in Houston, Texas. Upon graduation from High School, he attended Texas Southern University and was attracted to murals around campus that were created by the students of the late Dr. John Biggers. This attraction drew him into the world of the multi-dimensional aspects of visual arts. Often known for his use of vibrant colors, he is considered to be a contemporary artist birthing abstract paintings bursting with contemporary designs, mixed media and full of intrigue, delight and energy. Lofton works with different materials such as acrylic paint, watercolors, printmaking and collages. Art making, like life is a process and Lofton embraces every single aspect of the process. Lofton’s work is influenced by Romare Bearden, Al Loving, Sam Gilliam, and Richard Diebenkorn.
I am concerned with the art of exploring and creating art that speaks to me and others. My art productions are about our environment, life’s experiences, and our spiritual being. My response to the world exemplifies the educational and functional response to the world around me.
As a Fine Arts artist, I use vibrant colors, forms, shapes, and textures. Serigraphs, monotypes, lithographs, acrylics, watercolors, and mixed-media collages, dynamically shape my repertoire. Also, I use art techniques like dry brush techniques, wet on wet, slashing and many other media techniques to express the relationship between a concept and a visual reference.
ARTIST CV ↓
- University of Houston, CL, MA., 1989
- Prairie View A&M University, B.A., 1980
- 2021-”Transitions”; College Town Renaissance Center, Arlington, Texas
2020-Memories and Inspiration; The Kerry and Betty Davis Collection of African American Art, Art Exhibition Gilcrease Museum, Tulsa, Oklahoma.
- 2019-Seen Unseen; The Kerry and Betty Davis Collection and The Northeast Ohio Response, The Artist’s Archives or the Western Reserve and The Sculpture Center, Cleveland, Ohio.
- 2018-The Paul R. Jones Collection from the University of Alabama, Moca, GA.
- 2017- Thelma Harris Art Gallery Art Exhibition, Two Man Show-Alonza Davis and Lionel Lofton
- 2016-The Harmon and Harriet Kelley Collection of African American Art: Works on Paper, The Houston Museum of African American Culture, Houston, Texas
- 2015-Kelley Collection: Works on Paper Exhibition, Philadelphia Academy of Fine Arts, Philadelphia, PA
- 2014-20th Annual African American Art Exhibition at Actors Theatre of Louisville
- 2014-African American Treasures; The Kinsey Collection Art Exhibition, Houston Museum of African American Culture
- 2013-19th Annual African American Art Exhibition at Actors Theatre of Louisville
- 2012-Black Heritage Gallery Art Exhibition, Houston, Texas
- 2011-The Tougaloo Art Colony, Hot Art Historic Tougaloo College, Jackson, Mississippi
- 2010-The University of Miami Lowe, Art Museum, African American Art Exhibition
- 2009-Amon Carter Museum, African American Art Exhibition, Fort Worth, Texas.
- 2008-Law School Installs Art Exhibit, The University of Alabama
- 2007-Memorial Art Gallery, University of Rochester Art Exhibition
- 2004-The Vision From Within, The Apex Museum, Atlanta, GA
- 2004-Visions II, African American Museum, Hempstead, New York
- 2003-Citywide Art Exhibition, The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, TX
- 2002-African American Museum, Dallas, TX. Sankofa-Art
- 1998-Reflection of Our Soul, Irving Arts Center, Irving, TX
- 1995-Imprints Traveling Exhibition of Works by Texas Printmakers, Museum of Science and Industry Art Exhibit, Chicago, Ill.
- 1994- Group Show, Art League of Houston, Houston, Texas, La Chic Art, Civic and Social Club, Orange, TX
- 1992-Artistic Expression, Race and Ethic Studies, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX
- 1990-Art Stravaganza Juried Exhibition, Chattanooga, Tenn.
- 1988-Forerunner and Newcomers Art Exhibition, University of Houston, C.L., Houston, TX
- 1985-Drawing Conclusions, Art League of Houston, Houston, Texas
- 1984-Exhibition of Paintings, Houston Public library, Houston, Texas
SELECTED PUBLIC AND PRIVATE COLLECTIONS
- The Harmon and Harriet Kelley Collection
- The Paul R. Jones Collection
- Leo King Edwards Jr., MD, San Antonio, Texas
- J.E. and Aubrey B. Welcome, Willingboro, NJ
- Kerry and C. Betty Davis Collection
- The Black Academy of Arts and Letters, TX
- The African American of Dallas, TX
- University of Arkansas, Art Dept., Pine Bluff, Ark
- The Larry and Brenda Thompson Collection, Atlanta, GA
- Kevin and Karen Cole, Artist/Educator, Fairburn, GA
- The Harmon and Harriet Kelley Collection of African American Art Catalogue, San Antonio Museum of Art
- Studios and Workspaces of Black American Artist African American Exhibition, Louisville, Kentucky
- Black Art by Lionel Lofton, Black Collegian, November/December, 1988
- Seen Unseen Catalogue, The Kerry and C. Betty Davis Collection and The Northeast Ohio Response
- This Postman Collects, The Rapture of Kerry and C. Betty Davis
- Art League of Wichita Falls, Wichita Falls Record News, 1987
- One Man Exhibition, Prairie View A&M, 1980
- African American Treasures, From the Kinsey Collection
- Memories & Inspiration. The Kerry and C. Betty Davis Collections of African American Art